Friday, February 19, 2010

WOW CANADA!

One of my all-time favourite books that I've read a million times is WOW CANADA! by Vivien Bowers. I LOVE this book, which is about a family's roadtrip across Canada. It is AMAZING!

I just realized this past weekend/week how WOW and NOT WOW our country is.

WOW:
Are you watching the Olympics? Okay, good, then enough said. I admire athletic people cause I am so not one, so I totally revere all those amazing athletes (not just Canadians, but I do favour them). They have worked so hard to get to this point and they are so good at what they do. It doesn't matter if they won a medal!!! They are all fifty trillion times better at sports than I am.

Just a little funny: "Are you dissing Canada? I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my free healthcare."

NOT WOW:
In History class we are just learning about the pre-WWII time and the fact that Prime Minister King wouldn't allow any Jews into Canada just appalls me. We need to have open arms.

And the INTERNMENT OF ENEMY ALIENS DURING WWI?????? That enraged me. Basic racist principles in the first half-century DISGUSTS me.

But really, weren't we ALL a bit racist? Look at the slave trade or the Holocaust or the Crusades. All prime examples of racial/ religious discrimination.

I hate that!!!! It gets me so fired up!!!! I can't stand the fact that things like this are STILL happening! We should have been able to get over this and just accept other people.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

GO CANADA!!!!!

Later,

Emma Eldon <3

No comments:

The Love Chapter

"If I speak in tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."



- 1 Corinthians 13 1-3, Study Bible, NRSV